11.06.2009

Another round of adventures!

The propaganda worked! Yesterday when I set our for another adventure, I decided that I did not want Hitler in my car (see previous post). I figured that the public transportation system of the greater DC area had to be pretty decent, since it serves so many people. It has to be better than the Memphis Area Transit Authority, right?!

Well, I did my research in an effort to make sure that I wasn't going to be left standing out in the cold (literally, it was 50 degrees). I checked the schedules, realized that the bus stop was right outside my hotel in the mall parking lot, and grabbed my metro pass. I headed out a little bit early, which is quite unusual for me, just to make sure that I didn't miss the buss. I got there with plenty of time, boarded the bus, and tried to use my metro pass to no avail. Cash or SmartCard only (as of January 4, 2009)! Alright, no biggie; there was another bus to my destination right behind the one I boarded. I run into the mall, buy a bottle of water, and get $10 cash back. I run back outside...to an empty parking lot. The worst part, the next bus wasn't scheduled for another hour. I could have driven back to the hotel, sat in my room for 20 minutes, headed back out, and make the next bus, but I didn't really see the value in driving across the parking lot to sit in my room for 20 minutes. I'm not really a mall person, either, so browsing the barely opened mall for 45 minutes was not up my alley either. So, on to plan C. I decided I would wait in my warm car and play with my fancy phone contraption. Off to the car I went so I could avoid the cool air, listen to the radio, and stimulate my brain with the handy "Crossword Lite" iphone application.

Next bus, one hour later, came and I boarded, this time with my cash ready. Easy, peasy, lemon squeezy! I was bound for the metro station, and in no time at all, I was aboard the orange line Metro and off to the National American History Museum for day two. All I can say is, WOW! I saw some of the most amazing historic artifact that I have ever heard of. I saw the kitchen where Julia Child worked her magic. I saw some of the most amazing dresses worn by our nation's first ladies. I saw the ruby red slippers worn by Judy Garland for her dancing scenes in
"The Wizard of Oz." I saw Abraham Lincoln's hat and suit, as well as plaster casts of his face and hands. I saw some incredible science exhibits, including some of our nation's most important "accidental" inventors. I saw the incredible growth and change that has taken place in the American Presidency, from the first days of George Washington's term to the present day of Obama's term. I saw a home, built in 1760, inhabited by ten different families over the past two centuries, that was rebuilt in the museum and decorated to showcase the various time periods of the families that lived there. Most astoundingly, however, was the Star Spangled Banner exhibit. In the war of 1812, between the very young America and the established Great Britian, America was threatened again, this time in a way that made our citizens much more uncertain than they were during the Revolution. The British made their way inland, torched the Capital and the White House, and continued to push the American troops to their limits. The came the battle of Baltimore. Francis Scott Key was aboard a vessel out in the Chesapeake Bay, where he witnessed the Royal Navy attempt to demolish Ft. McHenry. Most people thought that this battle, which would be easily won by the British, would mark the end of America. Just when all hope was apparently lost. The soldiers aboard the ships outside Ft. McHenry saw a very uplifting, incredible sight. The American flag, beaten and battered, was still flying over the fort, marking an American victory in that battle. The soldiers held on in Baltimore, which inspired the rest of the country. The Americans eventually won the War of 1812; however, what stemmed from this war had much longer lasting implications.

Francis Scott Key saw the beautiful sight of the majestic American Flag flying over the battered Ft. McHenry and was inspired to write a song to the tune of an old British drinking song. His words, used many time throughout the next several decades at various patriotic events, were eventually adopted by our nation as our national anthem. The sight of the 30x34 foot flag was breathtaking. It brought to mind all of the reasons that young men and women have fought for what they believe in for so many centuries. The hole-y, threadbare, handmade fabric was so inspiring that all I could do was say a small prayer of thanks for all of the soldiers that have fought to keep our nation safe, and a prayer of hope for those that are still working to allow us our cherished liberties. After three hours in the museum, the time had come for me to head back to la casa to prepare another gourmet meal in our sinfully exquisite kitchen.

I left the museum, boarded my designated orange Metro, and headed back to the VA area. I checked the bus schedule to make sure that I wouldn't miss the correct bus back my mall oasis. I knew that I would be cutting it close, but I figured that I would have at least five minutes to catch my bus after I got back to the metro station. When we pulled in, I looked at the clock. 4:30. Exactly two minutes after my bus left. I had to wait another 28 minutes before the next bus came. I did not know where else to wait except in the Plexiglas bus stop. All I have to say is that it was cold (and we all know how much I love that!). Once my wait was over, I boarded my bus, payed the appropriate amount of CASH that was necessary, and waited to be deposited at my destination. Little did I know was that this particular bus had to stop at every single stinkin' bus stop between the metro station and the mall. Between the traffic and the stopping, it took me two hours to get from the museum to my hotel room, completely equipped with a migraine headache. Thank goodness for my lovely husband, who helped cook dinner, and for the amazing sights that I saw between my metro excursions. I guess I'll be chauffeuring dead nationalist from now on...

No comments:

Post a Comment