11.09.2009

Here we go again!

J and I had a fantastic weekend that was completely filled with adventure. On Saturday, we planned to go visit some of the museums around the Mall and just kind of take in the sights of our nation's capital. When he got home from work on Friday, he had tickets to a Washington Capital's game in his hand and said that we had been invited to breakfast with some of his coworkers. It seemed as though our Saturday went from pleasantly full to completely booked (in a very good way). We woke up early (well, early for me, J got to sleep in a little) and prepared for our trip to the farmer's market in downtown DC. We met up with his coworkers for breakfast at this really cool place in the midst of the farmer's market. Everyone lines up to grab their freshly cooked breakfast and grab a seat at the very small soda-fountain counter like table off to the side of the rest of the market. I could tell from the start that this was a good breakfast place because the sign said "Must be in line by noon to order breakfast." Clearly, people are ready to wait for this stuff! J had a good old fashioned pancake breakfast with two eggs and the obligatory sausage. I had two eggs, a roll, and the best crab cake that I had ever tasted. Once we were full to the point of gluttony, it was time to walk. We walked two miles to the Natural History museum and passed the Capital building. It was incredible to see it up close, and know I more fully understand exactly why they call it Capital HILL! We spent the next four hours in the natural history museum exploring all of the ancient artifacts that they had to present. We saw the incredible creatures from the depths of the ocean; we saw amazing animals that stalk across Africa and Asia; we saw bones from animals that prowled this earth more than 65 million years ago; we saw a display on how everything shifted from the creatures of old to the way life is today. It was fascinating! After our time there, we zoomed over to the American History museum (my home for adventure earlier in the week). J saw the incredible Star Spangled Banner, the Americans at War display, and took me through the exhibit dedicated to Thomas Edison that explains just how we actually came to have electricity. I even surprised him with my knowledge (albeit, limited) of pistons and generators and the laws of thermodynamics. Once our feet had had all they could take (and they couldn't takes no more), we had to walk again. This time, we set out for the Verizon center, home of the Washington Capital's National Hockey Team. Luckily, this trip was only one mile. After we found our destination and grabbed some oh-so-delicioso Papa John's pizza, we headed for our corporate box. We enjoyed the game with some of J's coworkers from breakfast, as well as other ExxonMobil employees. With the hockey game displayed in front of us and the SEC football games prominent of the television (what the heck happened there LSU?!), the evening was set. J and I both had a great time, especially since the Caps won 7-4 over Florida (at least their football team pulled it off). The return journey was not nearly as far and the metro ride was easy. After a long, fun eight monthaversary, it was off to the adventure of dreams.

Now, for my next trip! This Wednesday, I will be joining my dad's sister and brother, their spouses, and my grandparents for my grandfather's birthday extravaganza. We're goin' to DISNEY WORLD!! I guess this will help make up for the fact that I missed his actual birthday party in September. :) After three days at the Magic Kingdom, I will be headed back to the big LR, then back to M-town for a fun filled week with my best friend! Between Mickey, Edward, my family, and Jennie, I don't think these next two weeks can get much better!

E

1 comment: