12.03.2009

Merry Christmas to ALL!

What an incredible night! I can't believe how lucky we were to have won the lottery and attend the National Christmas Tree Lighting. I have never seen something so amazing. Let the holiday season begin!

Once we waited in the obligatory line for at least an hour, we were able to run through the lawn of the White House and find seats directly next to the HUGE Christmas tree. J was so sweet, asking "Do you want to move in to seats a little more in the center of section?" I was like, "HECK, NO! We are right freakin' next to the NATIONAL CHRISTMAS TREE!" So we sat on the outskirts of the seated section, directly in the gale-force, icy blasts of wind (not really, it was like 48 degrees, but it felt arctic). It was incredible to see the monstrosity of the tree. I think next year J may be out of luck because I think I want one just like it. After another hour of sitting in the near frigid temperatures behind the behemoth of a person who decided she needed to stand up to talk to the person who was sitting next to her, the festivities began. The "President's Own" Marine Corps Band playing an incredible array of festive songs, which of course I sang along with, despite dirty looks from my husband and others. To our great surprise, Randy Jackson (sup, dawg!) was hosting the event for the television audience, and we were mere yards from his back and the television cameras. I don't know we will be visible in the broadcast, but we were close enough that J could have hit him with a football (he even claims he could do it left handed...) The first performer of the evening was Jordin Sparks, from American Idol. She did a great job and was very high energy, but was unfortunately shown up by her predecessor. Sheryl Crow did a fantastic job, especially since she dedicated her performance to all of our dedicated troops fighting for our nation over seas. After the beautiful performances, several people gave some speeches about how this National Tree lighting was monumental for this reason and that reason. Then, President Obama gave his speech. Now, regardless of your particular political affiliation, it was very impressive to be about 100 yards from our nation's President and hear him in person address the audience. I was impressed, but not for the last time of the evening! Next came the countdown to the lighting. When President Obama pressed the button to light all 57 trees, it was breathtaking. After all of the tree were lit, I stopped paying attention to everyone else on stage. I was oogling a tree, and it was awesome! Once I was able to divert my attention away from the tree, I realized that I was being read to. Michelle Obama read "The Night Before Christmas" to several children on the stage, and I felt like I was six years old again. I couldn't believe I was hearing one of my favorite stories being read to me by the first lady. After she so eloquently read the timeless tale, Celtic Woman performed Carol of the Bells, another of my favorite holiday traditions. I was in awe!

Despite my near frozen toes (apparently socks would have been a good idea, regardless of the rest of my stylish attire), it was an incredible night. I am so thankful that I had the opportunity to share in such a special, time honored tradition by a simple luck-of-the-draw. It was a wonderful way to start this beloved holiday season, especially with my wonderful husband by my side. If you would like to watch this incredible event, tune in to you local public television station beginning December 4, or log onto www.thenationaltree.org and watch the event online. It is definitely worth the time! Amidst all of the hustle and bustle of the holiday season, despite the many economic shortfalls that we are all facing, this special celebration is a great way to begin preparing yourself for the true meaning behind this time of year: peace within yourself, peace within your relationships, and giving of yourself and what you have to those around you. Merry Christmas!
E

1 comment:

  1. how much did y'all win from the lottery??!!

    ReplyDelete